Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Simply Oriental

We all love Chinese food at our house. I also love Japanese food and my son is a big Thai food fan. If we do Japanese or Thai we always order out. Most of the time when we do Chinese, we order out. Sometimes, though, I venture into making a Chinese meal in my own kitchen. Actually my husband makes excellent pork fried rice and egg drop soup and I like to try my hand at a few simple dishes. While I admit there are plenty of times when we plop down in the family room with a good movie, Chinese food cartons in hand, there are other times when its nice to eat at the table surrounded by a little Oriental ambiance. This table setting is so simple it can be set up in minutes and makes even takeout seem just a little bit special.
Here is the table set for three. We're trying to learn to use chopsticks so I have no other flatware on the table......of course there are always standbys close at hand. We at least start out the meal with chopsticks :0
The large black dinner plates are originally from Target. I say originally because I picked up four complete place settings while out Thrifting one day for only $5. I use them now in so many combinations. The black and white salad plate is from my wedding china, Coventry pattern Laurent. In this particular instance I'm using them for a mandarin chicken salad that I've recently learned to make. The oval mini-dishes are from a kitchen store and for this meal are used for sweet and sour sauce to go with the eggrolls. Colorful and reusable chopsticks round out the setting.
Aren't these glass bamboo cups and teapot adorable? Since we always have hot tea with these meals these work perfectly......from Target also, but I don't think they are available anymore.
The centerpiece here is from Joanne Fabrics Store, bought at the New Years Sale last year. I currently have this on a sidetable in another part of my home as part of a more permanent arrangement, but it is just perfect for this type of tablescape. The jumbo black candle gives off a nice little light and seems more appropriate on this table than thin tapers. Bamboo placemats and black napkins are from Bed Bath and Beyond. I consider these two items staples because they are so versatile.
I love setting a pretty table, but for everyday meals I appreciate something that can be put on the table in a hurry, don't you?
This is my first time participating in Tablescape Thursday so thanks for stopping by. Be sure to drop by to see Susan and the rest of the lovely Tabletops at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/ I know you won't be disappointed.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool table. I'm still a newlywed and I love to set a pretty table for my husband and myself. I never thought about setting a nice table when we just have takeout. What a good idea! Thanks. Britany

Anonymous said...

I'm with BRITANY~ GREAT IDEA to actually SET a table (& so beautifully!), for Chinese take-out! Good thinking, & congrats on a LOVELY first TT! (We don't "do" take-out, but I always try to set a nice table... NOW, HOWEVER, I think we NEED to DO "TAKE-OUT", because THIS LOOKS LIKE a F-U-N, "new" way to dine! THANK YOU for sharing this pretty table & your GREAT IDEA! Linda

Martha said...

What a pretty table and love the Asian theme. I'm afraid our Chinese take out is usually eating out of the containers in front of the television!

The Blonde Duck said...

Saying hi from SITS!

Candy said...

美麗的桌 Beautiful table!
Candy

Diana LaMarre said...

perfect table for an Oriental meal. You have elevated take out food to fine dining!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I LOVE your tablescape! Very authentic! Now you are making me want Chinese food! lol I am going to swing by Target today and give their sale aisle a good look. You did such a great job! Welcome to tablescaping! Watch out...it's addictive!! lol...Debbie

Lisa (aka) French said...

Love it! Great job!! What a great idea love the plates! French;)

Maryrose said...

I love the oriental flair. What a fun way to have take out. We also love chinese, sushi etc. I will use your great idea, next time I do take out I will add your special touch. Thanks for sharing.
Maryrose

Anonymous said...

Hi Elaine! What a great table you set. I really like the simplicity of it. Your thrift store find and deal are amazing. Well done. I love thrifting especially since I'm getting into this tablescaping :0)

Fifi Flowers said...

Your tablescape has me wanting SUSHI! Yum! Love Target's selection of dishware!
ENJOY your day!
Fifi

Melissa Miller said...

Very unique and pretty.
Lovely TT post! :)

Nancy Rosalina said...

Very nice table setting! I always enjoy table scapes! I want to thank you for stopping by and visiting with me during my SITS spotlight....Please come back anytime.....Blessings, Nancy

I am Harriet said...

Neat!
Wish we could have that much fun when we have take out.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Love your table. Chinese sounds real good right now. Good luck with the chop sticks. I've never been able to figure out how to use them correctly. I guess cause I am such a klutz.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Elaine,
wonderful 1st tablescape, I love the beautiful oriental feel to this table and those neet items from target. Great Job! Cindy

Salmagundi said...

How neat!! I love the simplicity of the whole table. Great job. Sally

Linda Q said...

Asian classic, simpy beautiful and fun to make even take out special, I like it!
Linda Q

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Loved your oriantal table. It's simple but chic! Hubby's a pro w/ teh chopsticks & loves to show off. I haven't mastered them yet & get frustrated every time I try.

Julio Muao said...

I rated you 5 stars! oh wait, that's another website....um, I love it! a great homage to the far east. Thanks for sharing

Kathleen Ellis said...

Nice setting...love the exotic feel! I bet it makes the food taset better, too!
;-D

DEB said...

Teapot and mugs are so cute.
Very nice tablescape!

A Hint of Home said...

Very unique tablescape. I have never figured out how to eat with those chop sticks. Looks like a fun night.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Elaine...wonderful table...love the black, red and white color scheme. I admire you for the eating with the chopsticks...I think I'm too lazy to learn. LOL
Thanks for a wonderful Tablescape Thursday...this was so much fun! Susan

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Elaine...

Just wanted to stop by with a thank you for your visit and sweet comments on my grandbabies post!

Hmmm...Elaine, are you mayzee from RMS? If so, I sure do remember you and all of your sweet, sweet comments there!!!

Well, I just spent the last few minutes going through your blog...enjoying your posts! I love your darling "Children" photos too!!! Love the post about you receiving your Dad's Bible at Christmas...what a treasure!!! And I bet you he had lots of notes in the side margins...priceless!!!

What a lovely tablescape...it's simple elegance is lovely and so perfect for a little Chinese cuisine!!!

So happy to visit with you...come back by my place any time...you're always welcomed!

Warmest wishes,
Chari (Happytodesign on RMS)

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Welcome to your first TT .. I'm sure it won't be your last. I love that you look outside the box. This looks fabulous!! My daughter and family "love" chinese as well as hubby..Thanks for the visit to see the blue and white with Miss Kitty and Mr. Mouse.. I enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you again soon. hugs ~lynne~

Unknown said...

This is beautiful! I love the way the red chopsticks pop off the black plates.

LuLu said...

you have inspired me to set the table like that when we do Chinese take out. It looks so good, love it!
LuLu

Anonymous said...

We love Asian food at our home too..., and I used to have chop sticks. It's so much fun to eat that way..., and with a wonderful set like yours. I think I want to get back into it!

Lady Katherine said...

You have it all down to the last detail! So pretty! I love Chinese food so much! I wish I knew how to eat with the chop sticks. I sometimes make Chinese food. Never have even thought to make a great table setting for it! This is just wonderful!

Secondhand Blessings said...

Just wanted to drop in to say Hi and thank-you for visiting my blog.
I like your Asian themed tablescape.
I too, have not mastered the chopsticks; I usually just use the children's chopsticks!

YayaOrchid said...

That is such a lovely table setting! It looks more real and authentic than many I've seen in Chinese restaurants. Love your dinnerware!