Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Romance, Sleeping In, and Leftover Cheesecake

Valentine's Day around here has been rather quiet and uneventful......and that's just the way we wanted it.
You see we had a party here last night.
We moved most of the furniture out and set a table for fourteen in front of the fireplace. With a little background music by Michael Buble' and Rod Stewart it was all very romantic. Before dinner was over every couple had shared the story of their first date. Funny, sweet, romantic.....all at the same time. We all had so much fun!
Beforehand we had cleared out a good portion of our Familyroom for some after dinner dancing.
Jim and I had burned a special CD for each of our couples, picking out a song especially for them. When their CD would play that particular couple got to lead off the dance. For instance, our friends who had been married the longest danced to "Through the Years" by Kenny Rogers. For other friends who were actually Married on Valetines Day, we played Anne Murray ( a personal favorite of theirs) "Could I Have this Dance for the Rest of my Life?". Our newlywed couple who have been married just barely a year danced to the Nat King Cole song they danced to at their wedding. My cousin and her husband, who just happened to be named Fox, were surprised with "Foxy Lady" by Jimmy Hindrix. Even though she's never been a Hindrix fan she was a real trooper (and by the way her husband loved it!) We had quite a mix of songs throughout the evening......even had a little Abba thrown in the mix (you Abba lover friends know who you are!) In case you're wondering, Jim and I chose our own song........after all it was our party! :)
Oh I did redeem myself with my cousin by giving them an extra song to dance to at the close.....Somos Novios (It's Impossible) sung in Spanish by Andrea Bocelli and Christina Agulara. It was perfect for them......very romantic, and since they're both fluent in Spanish because of years of mission work in Costa Rica and Mexico.........it was also very appropriate.
When the party was winding down to a close we sent everyone home with their personal CD, along with instructions to play the final song we had recorded for them. It was a surprise for the ride home......Nat King Cole and his daughter Natalie singing "Walkin' My Baby Back Home".
It's so much fun to share an evening with good friends!
Needless to say, however, it was a late evening. By the time we were finished with cleanup it was very very late......though I do believe we looked a little more cheerful than this couple. After all, romance was still in the air even at 3 am!
Then all too soon the sun was up.........
But we weren't! Gotta admit we did sleep in this morning........ till almost eleven o'clock to be exact. Can't remember when we last did that! But it was so lovely and it felt so good. No breakfast. Just a little cheesecake and a bottle of Martinelli sparkling cider (left over from the party) for our lunch. Yes, that was what we had for lunch.
Consequently, it is now eleven o'clock PM and neither one of us is sleepy. We're on our way to bed though. Jim is getting some popcorn popped right now as I speak. (okay, I'll admit there hasn't been a lot of good nutrition going on around here today) Anyway, we have our choice of three movies to watch before we fall asleep. We've seen all three repeatedly and we don't mind watching either of them again. So I guess we'll decide when we crawl into bed, all warm and toasty with our bowls of popcorn.
So on this Valentine evening will it be.........
Music and Lyrics with Huge Grant and Drew Barrymore.........
The Wedding Date with Debra Messing and Dermot Mulroney...... .....or.....
The Holiday with Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Jack Black Good night......hope you had a lovely Valentines Day too.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great party. What a gorgeous table! What did you serve for dinner? Just curious because I always like to have something simple but delicious to prepare when I'm having very many people over. Something foolproof that I can't screw up! I would have picked the movie Music and Lyrics but I like all three of them.!
Blessings, Laura

Lesley said...

Sounds like an amazing Valentines day...what a great way to celebrate...and I suggest The Wedding Date...one of my all time faves....stopping by with some SITS love

Julie said...

Sounds like a fun valentines. Glad you had a great party!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a party I'd like to go to! We always eat leftovers the day after a party....no matter what it is and no matter what he combination! I can totally identify! I would have picked "Music and Lyrics". Love love love that movie.

YayaOrchid said...

What a gorgeous table you set for your guests! Sounds like a great time was had by all.

You sound very much like us. We're very informal and like it just fine like that. Hope you have a great week!

Unknown said...

These are some of my favorite movies. I adore The Holiday, I watch it often. Your party sounded amazing. I love all your cartoons, remember those, I miss them! Romance, Sleeping in, The Holiday and leftover cheesecake, sigh...perfection!
Karen

Molly Anne said...

Your table looked great! Looks like you had quite a few people over!

Ohhh I love The Holiday! It's one of those movies I can watch over and over and never get bored.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

LuLu said...

Too fun!
LuLu

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in to say hi from SITS!

Maggie said...

I just read through your whole blog. I know this is an old post (it's now April!) but I wanted you to know I just love the whole feeling of this one especially! It really does sound incredibly romantic to me in a very unconventional way!