Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thursday is Errand Day



Doesn't the phrase "errand day" sound quaint? It does, and I love it. It's reminiscent of earlier times when things seemed simpler, somehow easier. Now I realize that not everything was perfect "back then", whenever "back then" was, but many things actually were done in a more efficient manner.....and one of these things is setting aside specific days of the week to do specific things. It gives a purpose to each day.
I've found I have less stress during the week when I know basically what I'll be doing on certain days. I save money on groceries because I've taken the time to plan out menus and grocery lists earlier in the week ( on what I call my "office day", but that's another post). And I certainly save on gas when I take things to the cleaners, mail a package, or return a book to a friend all in the same trip.

Thursday works for me as errand day for a number of reasons, but everybody is different. Taking the time to plan out your week, deciding which days work best for the things in your life, can be a very liberating thing. I know some people don't like the idea of any kind of schedule because they view schedules as too restrictive or limiting. Believe me I'm the kind of person who loves to do things on the spur of the moment, who will sometimes drop everything I have planned to do when something I deem more important or even " more fun"comes up. If a friend I haven't seen for awhile comes to town and wants to have lunch I certainly wouldn't miss that opportunity just to keep on schedule and go to the grocery store. Life happens. Fun happens.

I don't think we should ever be a slave to a schedule.

But that being said, it's always reassuring that I can get back to some sort of order. Everything in my life works better when I do, and not surprisingly I have more time for everything and everybody in my life.
So while December is one of those months that is full of all kinds of things that don't seem to fall into any schedule or category, having some kind of framework for your week can actually help get all these "extras" done. So I'm off.....

.......and by the way, while I actually adore the way the woman is dressed in the above photo......I won't be dressed that way. I have on black velour slacks and a red sweater with black flats (with a little bling across the toe) for comfort! Rather stylish but in a much different way. The photo brings back memories of some of my Mom's outfits in the 60's......that's probably why I love it so much!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that thinking. It is so true when you plan ahead you save time and money. I love creating maps in my head so that I can accomplish the most errands in the shortest time. Errand Day, I like the sound of that. Karen

Anonymous said...

I love that outfit the lady in the picture is wearing too. I can relate to what she must be feeling. Look at that expression on her face. But you're right. Things go a lot better for me when I'm more organized. Thanks for reminding me to get back on track. Can't wait to see your post on office day.
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Hello from Canada
I must tell you your 50's picture caught my eye.
You seem so organized. I only wish I was more organized. I must have been when the kids were small but now that they are 20, 18 & 16 the need is not as great.
BTW Your chimney sweepers also caught my eye. We just returned from N.Y. and saw "Mary Poppins". It was fantastic.
Hope your having a great weekend.
Claudie

YayaOrchid said...

I love the thought of being so organized. Wish I were!LOL!

You do bring out excellent points, it's always better to have a plan.
Thank you for the timely reminder!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog today and I've read all your posts. I loved the picture on this post especially. I'm in my twenties and I wish people would dress this way now! Maybe I was born in the wrong decade.:) And I like how you think about your days. I've done this loosely but now I think I'll try to be a little more structured about it. I'm always looking for ways to be more efficient. Thanks. I'll be back for sure.
Shannon