Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Peanut Butter and Molasses Cookies

     I've been doing some baking this week.  It just seems to me to go along with decorating my home for the cooler months. After all, this is the last week of summer......September 22nd is the first official day of Fall.  So along with a new "whole wheat sandwich bread recipe" and a "butter pan rolls recipe",  I've been baking cookies today.  While I've made peanut butter cookies in the past of course ( see my post here for Peanut Butter M & M cookies) , I changed it up a little bit today and added molasses. Loved the results! 




     I keep a jar of molasses on hand in my pantry as a staple, and use it primarily in the recipe for stove-top baked beans (see this post for "Jane's Quick Baked Beans")  I prefer Grandma's Gold Standard All Natural Brand Molasses.....it's widely available and is some of the absolute best.












Peanut Butter and Molasses Cookies

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon double-acting baking powder



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Into a large bowl mix together all ingredients. With mixer at medium speed, beat until well mixed, occasionally scraping bowl.   With hands, shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls;  place 3 inches apart on cookie sheet.

Dip a fork into sugar and press deeply into the cookie, first in one direction and then in the opposite direction making a criss-cross pattern. Bake in oven for about 11 minutes, or just until cookies are lightly browned.  Do not over bake.

With a spatula immediately move the cookies to a wire cooling rack.  Allow to cool ; store in a tightly covered container. Makes approximately 36 cookies.

BONUS!
The dough itself can be kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks in an air-tight container.......just pull out as little or as much as you want at a time and bake away.











Now the house smells as good as it looks.....If you're excited that this season is upon us I'd love it if you'd leave me a comment letting me know what you do to get your home Autumn ready.









Today I'm linking with:

8 comments:

Becca said...

Wow! These look great. I think molasses makes things taste so nice and rich. While I don't like to eat it straight ( I say this because my hubby likes molasses on hot biscuits LOL ), I do like cooking and baking with it. Must try this. Thanks

Becca said...

Oh and I forgot to say that probably the thing I like to do most in the autumn around my house is to make apple dumplings. My Mom always made them when I was growing up and it just doesn't seem like Fall until I start doing the same. :)

Ginny said...

So great to see you posting again! Hope you had a great summer. Looks like you're getting in the fall mood for sure1 We're still warm here for sure but I find, like you do, that putting out a few things and doing a little "autumn" baking gets me in the mood. The cookies look delicious. I'm wondering if they are as sweet tasting as other cookies. I know molasses is a darker tasting sweet and when you add it to peanut butter......I'm thinking I might like that. Must try for sure. <3 Ginny

Tina said...

great recipe and love your blog. You go girl! =)

mail4rosey said...

I've never had Molasses with Peanut Butter Cookies but it sounds like it's worth a try.

Donna said...

They sure do look delicious. Peanut butter cookies are a staple at our house. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Two Succulent Sisters said...

Hi, Elaine, I'd love to have you come by and link up at the Pumpkin Party going on for a whole month. Hope you can make it. Linda

http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/2012/09/thirty-days-of-pumpkins.html

Austine Etcheverry said...

I loved the recipes and will be giving them a try. I'm a new follower and look forward to many new foods. Fantastic fall.