Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

An End of September Reflection







     It has been a long and toasty summer.  Granted not the hottest on record, but by anyone's standard it has been hot and dry.  After all, this is the desert southwest.  So here we are at the end of September, breathing a collective sigh of relief while we look forward to eight months of absolutely glorious weather. It is now our outdoor season, our gardening season. I'm doing my little seasonal happy dance! With that in mind we have been doing more and more work outdoors.....tidying up the spent summer plants, planning what to put into the fall and winter garden, and getting ready to plant our winter lawn.


     As I was watering this morning I happened to take a closeup of the leaves from one of our San Diego transplants. Actually I was trying to see how close I could get without having to go back inside to get my  macro lens,  but that's another story.  In any event the way the sun was shining down upon the glistening leaves.....well let's just say they were begging to be photographed. We planted some of these a couple of years ago and most of them seem to love being here.  Of course they need a little "babying" during our summers but otherwise they are thriving.






       Recently  I was reading  that scientists say  plants actually cry out for water when they need attention...we just haven't heard them because the sounds made by a thirsty plant are about five times higher pitched than we can hear.  These scientists, using tiny specialized microphones, have heard corn plants, for instance, calling out for water. Isn't that amazing?  You can read an article about it here  http://uberfacts.tumblr.com/post/14092156645/a-thirsty-plant-will-literally-cry-for-help



      There's no doubt that without a consistent supply of water our plants cannot thrive or even survive.  I'm reminded that as humans we are the same way.  Physically we need our water!  I believe also that spiritually we need water.....the word of God.  In Ephesians 5:26  the Word is spoken of as water....we need consistent watering with the Word......it cleanses us.....it sustains us in all circumstances. Many times our hearts cry out and no one else seems to be able to  hear. There are even times when we don't know what our hearts are crying out for......we are simply thirsty!



       It is at times like these that we need a good watering!  Unlike our plants, however, we need to do our own watering. It is up to us to spend time in the Word. No one else can do it for us. Just as on those hot summer days the last thing we want to do is step outside and water our plants, there are days we just don't feel like taking time to open our Bibles. We have so much going on!  Still, our plants depend on their watering and we depend on ours! When we water liberally, both physically and spiritually, what a blessing follows......our gardens grow and so do we!













   
Today I'm linking with:
Spiritual Sundays
Seasonal Sundays 
Your Sunday Best 
Today's Flowers
Floral Friday
Inspire Me Monday



23 comments:

Musings by Robert said...

I have heard of people talking to their plants to help them to thrive, but this is new to me that plants cry out for water. May our spirits ever be refreshed with the living water that causes us to never thirst again.

Ginny said...

Elaine, what a lovely post and a great admonition to spend our time in the Word. BTW.....what is the name of the rose?

Regina said...

Wonderful message and post!
Thank you for sharing!

♥ Regina

Modern Mom said...

Beautiful post!

Yellow Bloom

Cheryl said...

We're heading into COLD and nature is giving us one last hurrah of brilliance with her fall beauty.

Lovely captures. Enjoy your cool season & all the colors that come along with your gardens.

Laerte Pupo said...

Beatiful post and message.
Thank you for your participation.

Amy said...

I sure enjoyed this post, Elaine. Happy gardening :)

Amy

Blondie's Journal said...

Lovely post, Elaine! I find it fascinating to learn more about our plants. Sometimes I think I hear mine sigh when I water them! We all can learn from this!

Happy Fall Weekend!

XO,
Jane

DeniseinVA said...

Oh my, with a winter season like yours I think I would be doing a happy dance too. Thank you for sharing this lovely post with us at Today's Flowers Elaine, we appreciate the support very much.

msdewberry said...

I would of never thought plants would cry out for water. My hubby says I drown mine. Its a new perspective and thank you for that!
Lovely photo and message!

Gina @ Kleinworth & Co. said...

Beautiful!!!! I love learning all this- I bet our plants cry for water quite a bit in this dry climate. Makes me feel a little bad-

Jonell said...

THE ROSE, THE ROSE...it's just breath taking. 00000000my!
A new follower- find me at Like Gramma's House

Jonell

Nancy Claeys said...

I really like your comparison. We are all living things that need some love and nourishment. Lovely images and words.

Thank you for sharing at Your Sunday Best this week.

Annesphamily said...

What a beautiful post! I learned something new regarding plants and I feel encouraged after reading the Scripture you chose. Your photos are lovely too and I am glad I stopped by your place. Enjoy the week and enjoy the cooler weather!

Jennifer Richardson said...

i think i can imagine them
crying out for water....what
a fascinating share:)
thanks for the beauty,
Jennifer

Cynthia L. said...

I have always talked to my plants, but didn't know they talked back! Thanks for sharing the info.
I found your blog from MNB and am now following your blog and twitter! Have a wonderful day!

Charlotte said...

Beautiful post. I certainly can relate living here in the desert. I too am happy to see the cooler weather. Not yet cool, but cooler. lol
Thank you for sharing this message.
Blessings,
Charlotte

giftsmart said...

Lovely picture

ncrflowers.com said...

Beautiful

giftsmania.in said...

Good blog

gifts24x7.in said...

Good Job

Anonymous said...

A beautiful post ~ I love the article about the plants crying out. :)

Nava said...

Beautiful photography of the rose!!